What is an Information Prescription?
An Information Prescription is a free directory that makes it possible for you, a family member, friend or carer to request information about long term conditions as and when it is needed.
It allows you to have easier access to information at a time that is right for you, when you [or someone you know] is diagnosed and as your information needs continue.
Each Information Prescription works very much like a yellow pages in that it contains signposts to information and services that are available for individual long term conditions.
An Information Prescription will help you to understand more about your long term condition, the treatment you may need and on-going care. It will also help you to know more about how to get support locally and nationally, including carers, benefits, and support groups.
What is included in an Information Prescription?
The pages included in an Information Prescription will give you access to a range of useful information including leaflets, booklets, website addresses and telephone numbers. Each directory has two main sections:
1. Information about your long term condition
This section includes details of how you can get information about individual long term conditions such as:
- Medical information
- Treatment and side effects
- Information about living with your condition
- Support groups
2. Practical information
This section includes details on how you can get information on:
- Support for carers
- Financial support
- Healthy living
- Independent living
Is there an Information Prescription available for my long term condition?
There are fifteen Information Prescriptions available for different long term conditions, these are:
You can look at and/or download an Information Prescription now by clicking on the long term condition that is appropriate to you above.
You can also save these directories in an easy to find file on your computer by right mouse clicking on the relevant directory and select 'save target as'.
How do I get an Information Prescription?
There are a number of ways in which you can get an Information Prescription:
- This website; click on the relevant Information Prescription above for your condition to look at and download a copy
- Free phone the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0800 783 7279to request an Information Prescription for your condition
- Your local library will be able to help you to access the internet to look at and download an Information Prescription
- Your GP or nurse may also be able to help you.
Once you have an Information Prescription you can use it as and when you need to, to help you to live well with your long term condition.
Who can I ask for help about an Information Prescription?
- PALS will be able to assist you with any general queries or questions you may have about your Information Prescription - 0800 783 7279
- The communications team will be able to help you if you need an Information Prescription in a different format e.g. large print or another language - 01773 525 099
- If you need help in understanding medical information you request from your Information Prescription, NHS Direct will be able to offer you further advice and assistance - 0845 46 47
What if there isn't a directory available for my long term condition?
It has not been possible to develop an Information Prescription for all long term conditions.
However,if you have a long term condition that is not listed above it is recommended that you download or request a Long Term Conditions Generic Information Prescription. This contains an A-Z list of all long term conditions and the main organisation available to provide information and support. In addition to this, the directory contains signposts to practical information including carers support, healthy living, financial information and independent living.
Are you having technical problems?
Don't forget you can free phone PALS on 0800 783 7279 and request an Information Prescription to be sent to you through the post.
If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback about Information Prescriptions please contact:
Vanessa Vale Tel: 0115 931 6157
Information Prescriptions on NHS choices
For some Long Term Conditions you can now create your own Information Prescription on the NHS Choices website, click here to go to the website.