End of Life Care Patient Charter
We want to offer patients who are nearing the end of their life the highest quality of care and support. We wish to help you live as well as you can, for as long as you can. Therefore, if and when you want us to, we will:
- Listen to your wishes about the remainder of your life, including your final days and hours, answer as best we can any questions that you have and provide you with the information you feel you need.
- Help you to think ahead so as to identify the choices that you may face, assist you to record your decisionsand do our best to ensure that these wishes are fulfilled, wherever possible, by those who offer you care and support.
- Talk with you and the people who are important to you about your future needs.
- Endeavour to ensure clear and written communication of your needs and wishes to those who offer you care and support both within and outside of our surgery hours.
- Do our best to ensure that your remainig days and nights are as comfortable as possible, and that you receive the specialist care and emotional support that you need.
- Do all we can to help you preserve your independence, and dignity throughout the course of your illness.
- Support the people who are important to you, both as you approach your end of life and during bereavement.
- We also invite your ideas and suggestions as to how we can improve the care and support that we give to patients and relatives.
When Someone Dies